In the wake of the bomb attack at Ariana Grande musical concert in Manchester, England leaving about 22 dead and 59 wounded, the examination board has announced that it will rearrange the A levels and GCSE examination.
A man detonated an improvised explosive device in the foyer of Manchester Arena at 10.30pm on Monday, just as Grande was finishing her set.
so far, Authorities believe they have identified the man who carried out the attack, but would not be naming him publicly at this stage. Security services are working to establish whether he acted alone or as part of a wider group.
Meanwhile, a joint statement from the exam boards said that it is up to schools to decide whether or not GCSEs and A levels should go ahead as thousands of students are due to take their examinations this week.
Exams are not postponed but schools can decide whether to rearrange them.
The statement said: “GCSE and A level examinations are taking place today across the UK but, understandably, some students, schools and colleges will have been affected by the bombing.
“Schools and colleges affected by the bombing should contact the relevant exam boards. Students affected should speak to their teachers.
“Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by last night’s terrible incident in Manchester.
“School leaders are best placed to decide if exams should go ahead and, if they decide they are not, exam boards will make sure that no student is disadvantaged.”